6 April 2014

The Magic of Smiling



http://sites.psu.edu/asunnydisposition/wp-content/uploads/sites/9581/2014/02/smile-1.jpg
Did you already smile or better laugh today? I really hope so! 
Smiling and laughing are easy and simple but very effective ways to increase your overall happiness. But I'm not only saying this: it can be proven that laughing stimulates various hormonal and physical changes. For example, laughing increases the oxygen level in your blood and this activates your circulation system. At the same time your immune system gets a boost which can be recorded even hours after a fit of laughter. But a little smile already suffices to start the endorphin production in your brain which "create the feeling of well being" (to unscientifically quote the wikipedia article here^^). That's why I'm asking if you already smiled today. Because increasing your happiness-level can only be in your own best interest. :)

The shocking fact that children smile and laugh about 400 times a day and adults only get to 15 times. This fact really got to me and it got me thinking. But it really seemed to be true, at least that was my impression when was out and about in the city and people always looked so serious, reading the paper in the trains, working on their laptops and tablets and forgot to look up in the sky and simply enjoy the fact that the sun was shining. I came to notice that lots of people go through life and are bitter and cranky for no real reason. 

A year ago I caught myself being taken aback because of little things that happen daily in ones life like oversleeping or not getting a good grade or simply because the weather is grey in grey for over two weeks in a row. It really got to me and pulled me down so that I didn't have a lot of motivation to do anything fun or to just go on with my routine. But I have this friend who I got to know better and better at that time and he always surprised me with his positive outlook on every situation. He always knew and still knows what to say when I tell him about what is currently bothering me and he makes it seem just half as bad as it originally thought. I really admire him and his natural positive attitude. So I decided for myself that I needed to change my basic attitude and view of situations. I recognised the fact that we only live once (even if you believe in reincarnation.. this life you just now life you only live it once) and from that point onwards I figured out a way to become a more positive person on a day to day basis. 

http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/1112730895/baby-laughter-interview-addyman-111312/
Now when it starts raining on my way home I look in the sky, start to smile, turn up the volume of the music in my ears and simply enjoy walking in the rain. I mostly end up skipping down the road, jumping in puddles with a big fat smile plastered on my face and basically making a complete fool of myself. But I don't care. The truth is it is sooo much fun letting go of your carefully created everyday urban professional mask we put on every morning when we leave the apartment and start the working day. Life is too short to be grumpy and sad all day long. So I dare you to smile more often and letting your inner child out more often. It changed my life. I'm happier and healthier and I really can see how all in all life is better for me now. And more fun :) 

I wish you lots of smiles and laughter!
Cheers for now,
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment